Monday, April 15, 2013

Typical Weekend? Not so sure...

This weekend was a typical weekend...status quo in terms of spending time with Cristina, Bill and Chloe (which I love so much). We had some friends over on Friday night for burgers, and then last night Bill and I grilled some pork loins after Cristina went to sleep and watched a movie on Netflix. We live a very normal life, without a lot of fanfare, we're on a budget, we have a fantastic group of friends, our "go out and party days" are over, our families are supportive and loving, and our relationship is solid -- though that isn't to say it doesn't come without some bumps :-).  But we're HAPPY. And when life is said and done, I believe that is all we hope to have...is a happy life. When I was younger, I used to say "Life's a bitch, and then you die."  Well, no more do those words ever get uttered from my mouth. In fact, I can't believe that I ever really thought that way...was it the cynical thirtysomething in me? Or the uninhibited twentysomething? If those words ever come out of Cristina's mouth, I will be sure to wash it out with soap, or pinch her, or grab her tongue (or whatever you do when you want to teach your kid a lesson -- LOL).

As Sunday came to a close and as is typical at around 9 pm, Bill leans over and gives me a kiss, and goes to bed and I stay up. I'm the night owl. The contemplator. The secret Glee and HGTV fan (shhh don't tell anyone!!). The kind of guy that puts on his headphones and listens to new music, or old, and leans back in to his life and lets it all marinate. In fact, many of my blog entries end as the clock nearly strikes midnight and I am seeped in the nostalgia of what has past, all that is happening around me, and musings of what will come. It is a blessing and a curse...and has been pretty typical for most of my life. I guess it could be worse, I'm a happy man, with a beautiful family that I thought I could never have. So sometimes a couple cocktails and some good tunes is all I really need to maintain that happiness. It's pretty simple.

What made tonight so different is that as Bill traipsed off to bed, and I was going to check the blogs and listen to music and maybe catch an episode of guilty TV, the screen saver on our television switched on, and it was like an episode of "This Is Your Life" exploded in front of me.  All of Bill's iPhone photos are automatically loaded in to our screen saver and many I haven't seen, and it amazed me how much our baby has grown, and how much she has become a little girl. From a blob to a beautiful, energetic little personality that has truly changed our lives. She is SUCH a gem...and we are so very lucky to have her.  And I was just very much struck by this moment, and had to write it down for posterity's sake.  Again, call me crazy...

Today I snapped this shot as our curious little Cristina came head-to-head and nose-to-nose with Daddy. It couldn't have been more befitting of how our "typical" weekend went...

Here's hoping all weekends are just as uneventful.


DBCC



22 comments:

  1. Awe this is adorable! I love looking at iPhone slide shows, although we don't have a baby yet C and I have done this with our dog. It's amazing to see how time flies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girls...and you will have a baby!! 😀

      Delete
  2. I loved this post so much! Thankyou for sharing....we feel the same about our gorgeous 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post - and reminder to us all, how simple LOVELY this life is! Love the snap too, what a cute moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how they teach us that when we should know better! 😀

      Delete
  4. This was such a great post! Cristina is such a pretty little lady... HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks you' hope Grayson is going well too. Hugs back!

      Delete
  5. Hi Doug,

    Just catching up with your blog. WOW! I'm speechless. Very happy to see the little princess has brought some magic into your lives. It only gets better and better so enjoy the innocence and baby phase while it lasts.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! You helped us along so thank you! Hope all is well...

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug, thanks for stopping by our blog. You helped us last year and now we're finally pregnant! We've been watching Christina grow up this past year and your family has been an inspiration. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I helped...I know many have helped me on here so it's always nice to pay it forward. Congrats, again!...here's to an uneventful rest of your pregnancy!

      Delete
  7. What a great post. I love that you have these typical weekends that end with "This is your LIFE", and what a BEAUTIFUL Life you have. Christina is amazing and your photos show the world yours and Bills love for her.
    Love this Nose to Nose photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleksandra :-) It's all so much fun and I'm glad it shows through...as yours are just as beautiful and I'm sure enhance your life so much! They're such a blessing...

      Delete
  8. Life ~~~ your life ~~~ seems to be following a similar route of many, Doug.

    20's are speedy speedy,
    30's we know it all,
    40's ouch I put my back out,
    50's whoa I am older much older,
    60's I ache all over, come on we gotta get going for a walk!

    Such is our 40 years together...but the icing on your cake is CL...she will always be what changed your way of thinking and being!

    Cheers!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwww - such a lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I had to get it down as it was rolling around in my head after it hit me!

      Delete
  10. Such love and joy. Thank you for sharing with all of us. Miracles beget miracles and the world improves because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such sweet words & a beautiful life you now lead!.
    I just love those moments of happiness, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for following along...we are so, so lucky and I try to remind myself of that every day...as you are with your little girl! She's adorable!

      Delete
  12. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your
    blogs really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Cheers

    Look into my web site Bmi Chart For Women

    ReplyDelete